Job Role: Technical Author
Hours of Work: Full-time (37.5 hours a week)
Benefits: Annual bonus, gym membership and flexible working hours
CELCAT is a world leader in software for universities and colleges, and the developer of the popular CELCAT Timetabler product that is used by hundreds of institutions in more than thirty countries. The Company has its UK offices in Coventry and a number of overseas agents and distributors.
CELCAT was established in 1979. With a quarter century of academic affiliation, the foundations for state-of-the-art education software have been well laid. CELCAT Timetabler has been marketed since 1989, and we're confident that our tried-and-trusted reputation will ensure its continued success - a testimony to the enduring achievements of our benchmark products!
We are seeking a technical author who can bring their enthusiasm, technical know-how, and proven writing skills to our market-leading organisation and work with us to produce high-quality documentation for our suite of software products.
The technical author will be working alongside the company’s development, testing, and marketing teams, supporting all aspects of our current and future products’ help and documentation. He/she will report to the Development & Testing Manager.
Although having the right skills, experience and depth of knowledge is essential, we are also looking for an individual who will fit well within the organisation. The ideal candidate will be effective working with all sorts of individuals and teams, have the ability and willingness to adapt and learn, and be able to overcome challenges in a proactive way.
The technical author is responsible for the planning, creation, and maintenance of high quality, easy to follow, clear, concise, and attractive documentation for our software products - both in written and video form - such as: user help, installation guides, configuration guides, release notes, along with how-to video demonstrations. He/she will work with the core development and testing team to ensure the documentation produced is accurate, appropriate, and meets our customers’ requirements (both internal and external).
The technical author is also responsible for maintaining the company documentation style standards (manual of style), and the authoring processes and procedures.
Collaboration with other teams is necessary, for instance: working with the French team’s technical author to ensure new and updated documents are translated and published in a timely manner, as well as reviewing documentation and other material prepared by the marketing team for external blogs and customer communications.
- Proven working experience in technical writing of software documentation.
- Ability to deliver high quality, clear and concise documentation paying attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable in text and pictures.
- Experience maintaining a comprehensive library of technical terminology, company documentation style standards, and authoring procedures.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, especially with regard to writing ability.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Well organised, methodical, self-motivated, and able to successfully work under tight project deadlines.
- Willing to adapt and learn.
- Ability to work with various media – wiki, audio, video.
- Working knowledge of agile project methodology an advantage, but not essential.
If you are interested, please send your CV and cover letter to:
21 – 23 Mercia Village Torwood Close
WestWood Business Park
Or email us at email@example.com