CELCAT Timetabler – To the Cloud and Beyond
At CELCAT’s last Site Licence days we made the exciting announcement that Timetabler 10 would be released in 2019. Timetabler 10 is specifically designed for the Cloud but can be used on premise.
Timetabler 10 represents CELCAT’s new 5th generation timetabling applications designed to meet the burgeoning needs of users the world over.
Here the label ‘5th generation’ indicates the transformation of timetabling software over the past 25 years or so. Timetabling started on paper or spreadsheets and then to basic single-user clients. In addition to more sophisticated multi-user clients, fully functional web applications were introduced and now… the Cloud. If you care to count? It makes 5!
CELCAT made it clear that Timetabler 10 is not just taking our current version and making it cloud- friendly, rather it is a new breed of timetabling tools. Timetabler 10 takes into consideration not only the ever-changing education landscape but also advances in computer technology.
Why go to the Cloud? What are the advantages of a cloud implementation in a timetabling context?
- Flexibility The Cloud provides the ability to scale up or down quickly, a real advantage to institutions with fluctuating bandwidth demands. This flexibility is hard-baked into the service and gives institutions using cloud a genuine advantage over competitors – it’s no wonder then that ‘operational agility’ is a key driver for cloud adoption.
- Cost The Cloud cuts out the high cost of hardware and ancillary costs. Moreover, moving to the cloud transfers the cost of timetabling, attendance monitoring and all the other necessary parts of an integrated system from capital to operational expenditure. Simply pay as you go and enjoy a subscription-based model that’s kind to your cash flow.
- Software Updates The Cloud means not worrying about updates and new versions, that’s your supplier’s role! The real beauty of cloud computing is that the servers are off your premises. So you don’t have to worry about wasting time maintaining the system yourself, leaving you free to focus on the things that matter.
- Disaster Recovery The Cloud means having your software available virtually anywhere, any time. This is so important as timetabling and attendance tracking are mission critical! For smaller institutions that lack the required budget and expertise for Disaster Recovery, Cloud is an attractive option.
- Collaboration The Cloud makes collaboration easy, and we all know that successful timetabling needs collaboration. The Cloud facilitates multiple people making multiple changes to data from multiple locations. When your teams can access, edit and share data anytime from anywhere, they’re able to do so much more together.
- Competitiveness The Cloud gives all your users access to enterprise-class technology. It allows smaller institutions to act quickly and may make them faster than bigger, more established competitors. Smaller institutions really can disrupt the market whilst maintaining a lean environment.
- Security The Cloud provides greater security against loss of expensive kit and sensitive data. With all institutions subject to the rigours of GDPR this shouldn’t be underestimated. Because your data is stored in the Cloud, you can access it no matter what happens to your machine or site.
- Work from anywhere The Cloud means connectivity, if you’ve got an internet connection, you can work. Even the device you’re using is no longer a hinderance with most serious cloud services offering mobile applications. Working productively from home or anywhere else is no longer an issue.
Who knows where the next revolution in computing will take us? One thing is certain, here at CELCAT we are determined to keep pace with such technological advances. If you want more information on how we are developing Timetabler 10 please get in touch.